The Philomont General Store was established in 1913. Originally located across the street, the Milhollen Bros. Store, a red brick building constructed in 1843 was struck by lightning and burned down in 1908. The current structure, built from concrete blocks made on site with sand for the mortar drawn by nearby Beaver Dam Creek has been in constant operations as a general store since it’s completion in 1913. The large room over the store was used for meetings, including the Masonic Lodge and the Red Cross, where volunteers made bandages for soldiers during World War II.
In 1958, work was completed on converting the meeting room into three apartments. During it’s 160 year history, the store has been a hub of the community – a tradition that has been well preserved by its current owners, Mark and Madeline Skinner.
For over 160 years, the general store has been a hub of the village of Philomont – a tradition that has been well preserved by its current owners, Mark and Madeline Skinner. They bought the store in 2003 and are the eighth owners in over 100 years of operation. While the store has gone through some name changes and has seen some changes in its surrounding landscape, it continues to offer a little something for everyone.
The Post Office
Philomont’s Post Office was established in 1831, and was eventually moved into the Philomont General Store in 1941. In 1964, Laura Pearson, the current postmaster, took over from her brother-in-law Albert (Pomp) Pearson (postmaster 1956 – 1964) who took over for his father, West Pearson, Sr. (postmaster 1941 – 1956). This is the last operational Post Office located in a General Store in Loudoun County.